Saturday, August 2, 2014

Colossians 3:16 IBS


Thursday July 31st, 2014

Colossians 3:16 “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.”

            God’s word is powerful. As I said in the previous Inductive Bible study, the Bible is our sword. We should keep His word hidden in our hearts. Psalm 119:11 says, “Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against you.” The knowledge and application I’ve been receiving just from reading and digging deeper of one to five verses is astounding. Keeping the word close to you (as in memorizing, but not just because, but to know the power of the Lord) can help you in the battle. We are constantly at war with Satan, 1 Peter 5:8 says, “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.” Be sure to have your weapon ready whether you have it physically on you or in your mind.

            Not only do we need to be fed by the Word ourselves, but we are to share the Word with the world. As Matthew 28:19 says, “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.” We as Christians need to teach each other and lift each other up but with wisdom from the Lord. Where do we get that wisdom you say? Well of course by prayer and allowing the Word to dwell inside of you. We have to let the Holy Spirit come upon us when going out and sharing the gospel or teaching each other and pray for God’s wisdom and the right words.

            The next part of this verse talks about singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs. Praise. God is worth praises for eternity. Most of the book of Psalms talks about praising Him. More specifically Psalm 150 stands out to me; there are so many ways to praise Him. Verse three of Psalm 150 says, “Let them praise His name with dance; let them sing praises to Him with the timbrel and harp.” Be thankful for what it is He has done for you, and that is a lot considering He sent His Son to die for your sins.

            Application: So praise, dwelling in the Word, and sharing it with others is what I see in this verse of Colossians 3:16. I want to word to be hidden in my heart so to do so, I will pick a verse that stands out to me in my morning devotional time and memorize it. Not to memorize it to mark off some checklist, but so I can genuinely get to know God more and share that with others!

1 comment:

  1. That is amazing insight Brittani! I am very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete