Saturday, August 23, 2014

John 14:15 IBS


Monday August 18th, 2014

John 14:15 “If you love Me, keep my commandments.”

            This is such a simple verse, that sometimes I forget how important it is. We are to follow God’s laws in order to please Him. Some people might argue that we shouldn’t have to follow His rules, but if we don’t then we don’t love Him. It’s like obeying your parents. Not only is that a commandment from the Lord, but it’s a good example of what it is like to submit to the Lord. For example, I know my parents would have a curfew in place for my safety. I would have to check in with my mom sometimes throughout my time out, because “she said so”. We laugh from time to time by that response to our “why” question, but it’s just because they love us. It’s the same for God. He gives us these commandments, because He loves us; He cares what happens to us. Love is just all around!

            Who are we to not love the Lord and do what He says? He sent His one and only son to die for us. As John 3:16 says, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.” What an amazing sacrifice that none of us can match. He first loved us, so how hard is it for us to obey Him? Obviously it’s very difficult because of our sinful nature, but it’s still a matter of trying. He did so much for us, so the simple thing is taking up your cross and obeying Him. I choose to serve Him, so I will abide by His rules. Keep means save, so save His commandments in your heart. There are morals to follow and it pleases Him if we do.

Application: To remember the simplicity of obeying Him because He first loved me I will write “He loved me 1st” on my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment