Saturday, August 23, 2014

Romans 6:16 IBS


Wednesday August 20th, 2014

Romans 6:16 “Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?”

            Slave. Basically the person who does everything for their master. What a strong word and definition. The immediate thought most have is people wearing raggedy clothes and getting whipped…how awful. And it is quite dreadful, but in this perspective it’s a little different…

            What Romans 6:16 is essentially saying (in simpler terms) is that if you follow God you are a slave to Him or if you follow sin or Satan you are a slave to him. That leads me to what I mentioned yesterday, who do you put on a pedestal? Who are you serving? God is the one we are supposed to be serving, to be slaves to. This isn’t the context of the raggedy wearing, beaten slave. Free will of man, we have the choice to serve Him. We don’t have to do anything at all for Him…but we get the privilege to. The God, who created the universe, the Betelgeuse star that is ginormous and not even the biggest star in the galaxy, us…the cross shaped Laminin molecule that holds us together, and need I say more?! He deserves to be served!

If we don’t serve Him though, we are slaves to our sins and wickedness. There are only two ways to live…unto the Lord or unto Satan. If we don’t follow the Lord, we are slaves to the most unfortunate, depressing thing…sin and what separates us from our incredible God. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to be a slave to my sin and be eternally separated from The Creator, cast into a burning lake with gnashing teeth and a constant torture.

Application: Because we are human beings, we sin…always, so in a way we are slaves to our sin. But I choose to serve the Lord over my sin, so repentance comes in. To remember to repent when I do sin and to stick to being a slave to the Lord I will write “REPENT” on my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment