Monday, August 4, 2014

Luke 8:11-15 IBS


Monday August 4th, 2014

Luke 8:11-15 “’Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away. Now the ones that fell among thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity. But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience.’”

            Context is a pretty important thing with this. Just reading this, it’s like um what? And I’ve read this many times before, it’s just remembering to read a little earlier in the chapter. In verses 4-8 Jesus talks about this parable. The seeds that fell on the wayside got devoured by birds (verse 5), the seeds on the rocky road (no, not the ice cream hah) withered away because there was no moisture (verse 6), the seeds on the thorny road were choked by more thorns (verse 7), and the seeds on the good ground grew crops (verse 8).

            We are all taken back from Satan from time to time, or are tempted by things and fall away, or allow things of this world to consume us to where we don’t grow in the Lord. If I was asked to say which road I’m on most of the time, I would love to say the last road, with the good soil, but that’s not always the case. I fall short of the glory of God constantly. In this moment though, I think I’m on a thorny road…we had to switch rooms as interns a couple days ago and it’s been hard for me. It’s not the roommates at all, I love everyone here; it is the stuff and the room itself. I got so used the way things were that I was kind of annoyed to have to get used to another room. Admittedly I still am annoyed. I’m allowing something as silly as not having an extra shelf in the bathroom, for instance, bug me. God is just so good and I’m so happy these are the verses for today.

            Keeping in mind perseverance is the theme for this week, I have to remember to press on and to keep moving forward. Acts 20:24 says, “But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.” I cannot let something as little as changing rooms shake me. I need to learn from God’s word; hear it with an open and loving heart, and take action upon it in my life. Keep moving forward. Persevere. God has great plans.

Application: To remember to keep moving on, I will draw an arrow on my hand with the words “keep going” by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment