Saturday, August 23, 2014

Ephesians 6:1 & Colossians 3:20 IBS


Thursday August 21st, 2014

Ephesians 6:1 “Children, obey you parents in the Lord, for this is right.”

Colossians 3:20 “Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is well pleasing to the Lord.”

            Well clearly this is important, it’s repeated several times. Like I’ve said before God uses repetition to get things across to our tiny human brains. It’s one of the ten commandments, Exodus 20:12 says, “honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.” You would think we would get it, but with our sinful nature it happens. All you have to do is ask for forgiveness from your parents and R.E.P.E.N.T. to the Lord.

            One thing that keeps coming to mind for some reason is Charlie Brown. Weird I know, but it’s an example of the depiction of parents and that influences kids. All of the adults on that show apparently don’t matter because their speech is “wah-wah-wah-wah-wah”. Even with T.V. shows on Disney Channel today or just T.V. shows in general, the kids are disrespecting their parents. Oh what a world we live in…how unfortunate that we allowed sin to enter. But praise the Lord for our Savior, Jesus Christ. Anyways, bringing it back…or the parents are perceived as “uncool”…which I’m sure we can all agree to that from time to time (haha), but speaking for myself, in the end I don’t know what I would do without my mom. I have the privilege to obey her and my father as well. Not only do I have the privilege to obey them, but it’s a command from the Lord and He is the ultimate one we are supposed to follow and obey. Just like Acts 5:29 says, “But Peter and the other apostles answered and said: ‘We ought to obey God rather than men.’” No need to go into that because we just IBSed that the other day, but just listen to the Lord and obey your parents. These verse are very straight forward and I thank God for that.

Application: I feel like this is such a good reminder and something that I can look to for when I return home, but right now in this moment to remember to abide by this commandment from the Lord in obeying my parents, I will write “parents>wah-wah-wah” on my hand. (Trying to get creative here, especially with not being anywhere near my parents, but regardless of that I need to obey them.) And I will call my parents to apologize for any disrespect and disobedience that I’ve done.

No comments:

Post a Comment