Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Philippians 2:3 IBS


Monday August 25th, 2014

Philippians 2:3 “Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in the lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.”

            Humility. That is the first word that pops into my head upon reading this verse. Everything is to be done for the Lord and through His glory. And we are to lower ourselves so we can then help others. I have been reminded ever since the end of June about Jesus washing the Disciples’ feet in John 13:1-17. I did a skit with my church for one of the days at Vacation Bible School and we’ve talked about it here a few times. It’s such a good example of how we should be. Jesus, our Lord, our Savior bent down and did the lowliest of low jobs and washed His disciples’ feet! Let me say that again…FEET! But Jesus is who we are supposed to be like, right? Christian means “little Christ”, to be “Christ-like”. So this is just one of many examples, but this is what fits for today.

            The first part of this verse is so difficult, because we as humans are so selfish. Let me ask you something…how many times a day do you look in the mirror? I don’t even want to answer that myself, especially when we spend most of our time in a room full of mirrors here…I just can’t help but think how selfish of me. Looking in a mirror is just one illustration of how egotistical we are. I need to be looking away from the mirror and to those around me. Is there someone who needs encouraging or help and I miss it because I’m too busy looking in the mirror and worrying about myself? This verse just says it all: do things for the Lord; giving Him glory, lower yourself; play the background, and lift others up; showing them Jesus.

Application: This verse really reopened my eyes to things that I need to work on. So to act on that I will write “play the background” on my hand/arm and look out for things I can do to help others (i.e. pray, help with K.P., anything the Lord shows me).

           

No comments:

Post a Comment