Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Hebrews 13:5 IBS


Wednesday August 13th, 2014

Hebrews 13:5 “Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’”

            Okay, so I used this verse as a reference in the first IBS for this week of 1 Timothy 6:6-8 not even realizing that this verse was for today, whoops! But it’s okay because I’m feeling like God is showing me something different today anyways.

            Last time I was making a reference to the covetousness part and about being envious about other peoples’ clothes/hair, and how I need to be content with what I have and what God has provided me with, but now we’re looking at the whole picture. I feel like since God already showed me the first part of this verse and that I shouldn’t be jealous and be content, that He’s making a point about the second part. “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” What a comforting statement.

            Contentment and anxiety kind of go together. In order to be content we have to not worry. God has everything in control for us. Matthew 6:34 says, “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” Worrying about tomorrow causes you to think about the future and to not be content with the here and now. Right this second is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present. The past is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. I’m pretty sure that is a quote from somebody, but I have no clue who, so I am just not going to claim that statement (haha).

            Psalm 42:11 says, “Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God.” The key part I see in this is hope in God, He will always be with us, so why worry? Be content with the unknown. God knows and He will provide.

Application: To remember to be content with the here and now and the unknown, I will write “God knows and that is a gift” on my hand.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment