Sunday, August 31, 2014

Philippians 2:7 IBS


Thursday August 28th, 2014

Philippians 2:7 “but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.”

            Reputation. What is the first word that pops into your head when you hear the word reputation? For me it’s what others think of me; my status. Which in our society today, especially in the United States is pretty prominent. We are always looking to have riches or to have the best image, or just point the finger to three people: me, myself, and I. Jesus came down to be amongst His people. He didn’t even make Himself equal with God, even though He is God (which I talked about yesterday). Seriously, why do we insist on everything being about ourselves? Talk about a slap in the face when the Savior of the World didn’t even make a reputation of Himself or equal with God.

Bondservant. Slave by choice. Jesus came to earth and chose to do the works and wonders He did. He chose to walk out a life as a man and to go through the Crucifixion. He chose to take the beating and scourging, mockery, and the weight of the world. How can I even have the thought of “I’m giving up a year of my life to serve, oh how marvelous and great I am”? He took lashes for me, He went through the most excruciating death…for me. Not only did He take it all, He chose…HE CHOSE to die. I know I’m repeating myself a lot here, but it’s just so much to fathom. No matter how many times I hear or read the story of what Jesus went through for me, it will never cease to amaze me.

But that is something to always look to. The Lord chose to die for me, why can’t I take on the form of a bondservant and choose to serve Him…without a complaint or praise to myself or reputation? I want to serve behind the scenes, only serving the Lord. I want to take any compliments I receive and give them to the Lord, like a bouquet of flowers. I want my reputation to be in the Lord. When people see me, I want them to see Jesus Christ shining through, so their eyes will be on the Lord and not on me.

Application: The sunshine is always such a beautiful thing and I always see God through it. So to remember that Jesus needs to be shining through me, I will draw a sun on my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment