Saturday, September 6, 2014

I Corinthians 9:19 IBS


Friday September 5th, 2014

1 Corinthians 9:19 “For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more.”

            This verse is exactly what we’ve been learning here, cultural sensitivity. If I were to go into Cambodia with my North American mindset, I would be bringing western style Christianity to a whole other culture. I need to be bringing the gospel and showing the love of Christ, not showing them how to do things. Their worship may be different, their prayers may be different, but if they know that Jesus Christ is their savior and that they can have a personal relationship with Him, then that would be winning more souls.

            Before making that step though, is dying to self. Something that we’ve been learning upon being accepted into the IGNITE program. For me, as I’m sure for everyone, it’s a daily struggle. The minute I complain about something or have a prideful thought is when self comes into the picture. Complaining…that can be an issue in servant hood. Really my whole life I’ve had a problem with complaining. “I’m hungry”, “I’m tired”, “I want to go home”, or “do we really have to do this?” That’s some things I’ve said constantly back at home and sometimes here in Guatemala, especially about the homework. When I think about how privileged I am to have gone to school, to have food three times a day if not more, and be here learning and growing closer to God, it saddens me that I even would complain. I don’t deserve any of the things I have, yet God blesses me with all of it. Praise the Lord! I can’t believe I would complain if something a little difficult or tiring comes my way. That’s not a good start to being a servant.

            Application: To remember how blessed I am and to not complain, I will write “complain” with an “X” through it on my hand. I’m sure I’ve done this application before, but it’s something I clearly need reminding of. I also ask Kaylee to call me out if she ever hears me complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment