Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Week 6 IBS Ecclesiastes 3:1


Saturday November 22nd, 2014

Ecclesiastes 3:1 “To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven:”

            I’ve always loved this chapter of Ecclesiastes, it’s such a good reminder that there is a time for everything. Acting the wrong way in a situation that requires a different reaction could actually turn into sin. A better example would be the second part of verse 7, “A time to keep silence, and a time to speak”. Being the self-centered human that I am, I want my voice to be heard. So I tend to try and speak out when I feel I need to, which is quite often. Or if I do say something, sometimes I don’t feel heard or what I say gets shot down. I know that is not an all the time occurrence, but those are the ones I remember, because that is when my pride got shut down, which is a marvelous thing. I don’t need to speak every single time something comes up. I may be in a position of just listening, which is okay too. I can’t let my pride and selfishness get in the way when I need to just be listening.

            God has definitely blessed me with the gift of listening. When people need someone to talk to, I’m the girl to come to. I can sit and listen to you all day long. When it comes to advice, I pray and let the Lord lead, but listening is something He’s gifted me in. But that is not the point. I need to remember this gift of listening the Lord has given me and use it from time to time. I need to pray for discernment for when a good time for me to speak is or when is a good time for me to simply listen. Not only with listening and speaking, but for everything as this verse states. There comes season for everything, it’s just a matter of it being appropriate for the situation.

Application: God’s timing is perfect for everything, I need to have discernment with the different reactions I can have. So my prayer is for discernment. And I will just sit back and listen today, to those around me and to the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment