Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Week 10 IBS Matthew 16:24-25 ~Board Talk~


Thursday December 18th, 2014

Matthew 16:24-25 “Then Jesus said to His disciples, ‘If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.”

            The Salt and Light School is Monday through Friday from 5pm until 6pm. Anna, Izzy, Kaylee, and myself rotate between classes to help the teachers conduct their class and teach English to the children. On Monday I helped with Linda in her class. Afterwards, I talked to her and asked her questions about her day and if she read her Bible that day. She is one who doesn’t know as much English, but she has improved immensely! We teach her and the other teachers, the youth, English at 6pm after the Salt and Light School. While trying my best to communicate with her, she asked me to write my questions on the white board. Each time I would finish writing I would turn to her and ask, “yoll?” which is the Khmer word for “understand”. She would nod her head and try her best to answer. When I came to asking her about reading her Bible she said yes, but then asked, “Can you teach me Bible in English?” I was just filled with joy and of course my answer was yes! We spent a good 10 minutes trying to communicate when would work best. Finally we came to the conclusion that Monday through Wednesday at 12:30pm would work! I invited the other youth girls too.

            So aware that they would be coming the next day, I began praying as to what the Lord wanted me to talk about with them. Knowing the fact of daily surrender and dying to self has spoken to me, and that we need to encourage them to daily read their Bible and pray, I thought of Matthew 16:24 that morning. But one problem…I couldn’t remember the reference, I only remembered the verse itself. So I just prayed and knew the Lord would make it clear and show me the reference for that verse if He wanted me to talk on that. Remembering I needed to underline something in Matthew 18, I turned there. After underlining the verses, I decided to read Matthew 16 since that day was the 16th. Reading through, God was just speaking. I got further and further and finally verse 24 says, “Then Jesus said to His disciples, ‘If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.” I nearly jumped out of the hammock I was swinging in, I got so excited!

            12:30 rolled around and they showed up; Linda, Srey Nich, and Seakly. I prayed in English and I asked one of them to pray in Khmer and we began. It was a short and to the point study, but seriously all the Holy Spirit. I encouraged them in daily surrender and giving their hearts to the Lord so we could be walking in the Spirit and not in the flesh. The girls said they had the desire to read their Bible and grow in their relationships with the Lord. They kept asking us questions and for advice. It was such a beautiful thing. After two and a half months of observing and praying and taking slow steps in the Lord faithfully, He has brought forth an incredible opportunity for discipleship! Kaylee taught yesterday and we’re praying about going through a whole book of the Bible with them. The Lord is working and His hand is all over this situation!

            Something started from the board talk I had with Linda that day, and I’m excited to see how it flourishes and what work the Lord is going to do! I must stay faithful, stay in prayer, and stay humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment