Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Week 17 IBS Luke 9:61-62


February 7th, 2015

Luke 9:61-62 “And another also said, ‘Lord, I will follow You, but let me first go and bid them farewell who are at my house.’ But Jesus said to him, ‘No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.’”

            This is something that I am fully aware of, but I put myself in the man’s shoes while reading this. I would want to go back and say goodbye to my family members before leaving. I couldn’t help but feel sad and think how hard that would be. I am following Jesus, but in this moment if He told me I could never go back home, could I do it? When taking hold of the plow, looking and turning anywhere else besides forward would be foolish.  In that moment of reading this passage, so many of those thoughts flooded my mind. Then, I realize, well of course you couldn’t go back, you are choosing to follow Jesus and He is first. I thought of Luke 14:26, “’If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.” I love my family members, but I love God more.

So if God had told me to do that now, I would be okay, because He is all I need. Abraham is an example of that, God told him to sacrifice his only son, Isaac, and he obeyed by faith. In doing so, God provided a lamb in place of Isaac. Abraham put God first. It was interesting to read this passage in Luke and have those thoughts. I know God has brought that up to me before, but it was clearly something I needed to ponder again. Is God truly first in your life? Even my thoughts were wandering a lot about my family and such, but that’s when I realized, put God first and the rest will fall into place. There is no need to worry. Look at all He did for me, the grace that constantly gets poured out thanks to the bloodshed of Jesus Christ. How much more so should He be the ruler of my life, of my heart?

First and foremost…Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment