Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Matthew 5:17 IBS


Tuesday September 30th, 2014

Matthew 5:17 “Do not think I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.”

            There is a God shaped hole in our hearts. It’s like that game when you are about the age of two with the triangle, rectangle, and circle. Each shape only fits in the one it’s made for, you can’t put it in the other ones; it just doesn’t fit. As humans, we need to constantly be satisfied and nothing will fully fulfill that satisfaction except for Jesus. Sometimes seeking Him seems painful and like it’s going to destroy, but it really is coming to a total peace. Don’t get me wrong, the beginning process is definitely a destruction, a destruction of the flesh, which can be a painful thing. But in the end, He brings a sense of peace and fulfillment.

            I still sometimes find my satisfaction in other things. Not necessarily in over the top things, but things like conversation with everyone here or making sure that I feel, I don’t know, happiness from my friends, well family here. And that is wrong, so wrong. The key word in that sentence is “feel” and that is my first problem. I sometimes allow myself to operate on my feelings and being a human, not to mention a woman; that is not the way to do it. Only the Lord brings true joy, I shouldn’t be seeking that in anyone but God. I know when I start to do that is when I get disappointed in others because I’m placing an expectation on them that they don’t deserve. Also, in a way I’m committing idolatry, because I’m placing them before the Lord. No not in a way, I am. He is first and should always be first, no matter what. He came to earth to fulfill and that is exactly what I should allow Him to do. He is my ultimate fulfillment.

            Application: To remember He is the true satisfaction, the ultimate fulfillment, I will write “True One” on my hand and be aware of situations where I start putting my satisfaction in others so I can immediately turn to prayer and place it in Jesus’ hands and turn my eyes back to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment