Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Matthew 5:16 IBS


Monday September 29th, 2014

Matthew 5:16 “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.”

            Purpose. That is my initial thought upon reading this. What was it that Jesus commanded His disciples and us to do before He ascended back into Heaven? To make disciples of all the nations (Matthew 28:19). The only way to do that is to shine the light in us that is Jesus. Humanitarian work is great, it’s the next step that is important; bring them to Jesus. If we feed a hungry person, that is indeed helping them for their needs for that day or even a meal, but if you show them Jesus, then they will have eternity. That is the ultimate goal. Sometimes I get scared to go forth and share the gospel. I run through scenarios in my head of how it could go and there is a huge problem with that. I’m not getting anywhere. I can run through a lot of “what if’s”, but the fact of the matter is I didn’t move, I didn’t take action to show them something that is the most important thing.

            I may not be so good at sharing the gospel, but I know at times, actions speak louder than words. This verse says to shine your light. If people see that difference in me, they may ask what it is that I have and they don’t. That is the perfect opportunity to turn them to Jesus. Or in situations of doing good works, it’s not my doing, but His and that’s what this verse says “and glorify your Father in heaven”. People may thank me for things that I’ve done, but in doing so I can tell them who ultimately does it and where I get my strength from. All of these things are perfect opportunities to let the whole world hear!

            Application: I know with the Lord’s strength I can approach people with sharing the gospel, but I can’t help but thinking of my family though. They know the gospel, but hearts are hardened. I need to let my actions speak louder than my words. During my six days home I will make it a point to do things that they see is Him and not me. (I know I had something similar last week, but as the time is approaching, it’s been on my heart.)

No comments:

Post a Comment