Sunday, July 27, 2014

Matthew 6:30-34 IBS


Friday July 25th, 2014

Matthew 6:30-34 “Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? ‘Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”

            Anxiety is a common thing in all of us that is hard to get rid of, but with the Lord, it’s not. God knows exactly what we need and when we need it. I always like to tell myself its God’s time, not my time. 1 Peter 5:7 says, “Cast all your cares upon Him, for He cares for you.” I tend to take situations and put it in my own hands first and that’s the problem. When everything went down with my family and I grew closer to God, I felt the need to take on all of their burdens and tell them to just seek the Lord. I later discovered that that wasn’t my place, I simply needed to pray, and that’s what I’ve been doing since. Even through that situation I sill struggle to give things to the Lord.

            For example, right now I still need to raise more money for the rest of this trip. I always tell myself to not worry because it’s in God’s hands and I don’t even know where I will be going for the six months yet and that can change things (money wise). Wherever God sends me, I know He will provide, it’s just a matter of reminding myself daily. I also worry about where I’m going to be going after this year is done. That brings up the ending of these verses, “Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” I have to remember to take things one day at a time and first seek God’s righteousness. Psalm 119:105 is my favorite verse and it says, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” With certain oil lamps there is only enough oil for the day and the light only shines one step ahead of you. That’s always an illustration I like to remember. I need to allow myself not even have a second thought of what’s going to happen tomorrow, because I’m not guaranteed tomorrow. James 4:14 says, “Whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.”

            Application: I need to allow God to have control. He only gives me the light that shines one step ahead. Psalm 119:105, being my favorite verse I already have it memorized, so to keep the illustration in mind of the oil lamp I will draw a light bulb on my hand/arm. Yes a light bulb is not an oil lamp, but a light bulb is easier to draw! Hehe J

1 comment:

  1. I am going to have Brennan start following your blog. It will bring him alot of comfort. He is having alot of anxiety with you gone. Today's blog is perfect for him to take comfort in the Lord.

    ReplyDelete