Wednesday, July 30, 2014

James 3:13-17 IBS


Monday July 28th, 2014

James 3:13-17 “Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter envy and self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. This wisdom does not descend from above but is earthly, sensual, demonic. For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy.”

            Wisdom is such an important thing in our walks as Christians. Having knowledge of God and His word is a major thing, but having it in boasting or just to show off is not from the Lord. The word that stands out to me in these verses is meekness. Meekness is humility. To me that is very important. We want to be humble through everything, for everything belongs to the Lord.

            Another thing that stands out to me is self-seeking. In everything we do, we have to do it unto the Lord as Colossians 3:23 says, “And whatever you do, do it heartily as to the Lord and not to men.” Just having a self-seeking desire is not from the Lord. This isn’t our world, its God’s. I tend to think the whole world revolves around me from time to time. I know it doesn’t obviously, but my flesh comes in and when something doesn’t go the way I thought it would, I tend to get annoyed. I know with my mind that the Lord’s plan is always better, it just takes some time for me to let it sink into my heart.

            That brings me to the point of not relying on what we know as humans. Proverbs 3:5-6 says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall make your paths straight.” We don’t have to rely on our own understandings, we are blessed to place that on God. 1 Peter 5:7 says to, “cast all your cares upon Him, for He cares for you.” His way is the best way. We should ask for His wisdom. His wisdom is pure, then peaceable, gentle willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy.

            This leads me to think of the fruits of the Spirit that we did last week on Galatians 5:22-23. God’s wisdom bears good fruits like love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. This all ties in together, self-control will help with not self-seeking. I need to make sure I have a committed Spirit like Psalm 51:10, “create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.” And I need to ask for God’s wisdom, for God to allow me to see things the way He does and to have His mindset.

Application: In knowing that God’s mindset is greater than mine, I will write He is greater than I on my hand to remind myself to seek out His wisdom and not my own or of this world.

1 comment:

  1. This one is really great Brittani. We are all self seeking most of the time. You are really learning alot from God right now. I am learning alot about God and what his words have to say through you. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete