Thursday, February 11, 2016

Let It Go

I drink out of this cup almost daily. May I remember to
"Let it go" and to let God.
       “Perhaps some future day, Lord, Thy strong hand will lead me to the place where I must stand utterly alone. Alone, O gracious Lover, but for Thee; I shall be satisfied if I can see Jesus only. I do not know Thy plan for years to come, my spirit finds in Thee its perfect home, sufficiency. Lord, all my desire before Thee now, lead on, no matter where, no matter how – I trust in Thee.” –Elisabeth Elliot; The Path of Loneliness  

As I sat in the garden this morning with an overwhelmed heart and the wind blowing rather roughly, I just cried out to God. Lord, I need You. I read in Jeremiah chapter 19 the beginning of verse 4, “Because they have forsaken Me and made this an alien place, because they have burned incense in it to other gods…” I have an idol in my life that I can’t seem to shake. I give it to God and pick it right back up again or I give it to God and hold one piece back, I believe because of fear. And that’s not trusting the Lord. It’s also hindering me from being the Lord’s entirely. I’ve allowed something to hinder me from FULLY singing, “the cross before me, the world behind me” or “you can have all this world, but give me Jesus”…I am called to deny myself, pick up my cross, and follow Jesus (Matthew 16:24). Deny myself includes this world, my desires, my burdens, ALL of me.
 
As I recall my time in training during IGNITE and read back on my blog from September 18th, 2014 on Philippians 3:11, dying-to-self daily, moment to moment was the key thing. It still is and always will be. I’m learning it all over again, just in a different way. Oh and did I mention the theme for this week for the interns is contentment? God knows 100% what He’s doing and I needed a wakeup call.

I also read this today from Frances J. Roberts; Come Away My Beloved…And Rest “O my Father, I would pour out my soul unto Thee. I am unworthy of all Thy benefits and dull of hearing. Thy teachings I treasure, and to be instructed of Thee is my desire, but I sit too seldom at Thy feet, and my heart is too often occupied with other affairs. Thy Spirit oft would settle as a dove upon my shoulder, but my activity affords Him no quiet resting place. Inspiration Thou wouldst bring to me, but my thoughts are preoccupied with the cares of this life. Deliver me from the snare of the fowler…from any contrivance of circumstances that would seek to destroy the ministry of the dove of peace in my heart. Give to me a quiet, meditative spirit that will provide fertile soil for the propagation of Thy Truth. Let me be open to an encounter with Thee at all times. Separate from me all that is evil, and let me cling steadfastly to all that is good. Be my instructor; be my guide, and withhold not Thy rod of correction when Thou discernest that I have need of rebuke. My hope is in Thee, for I am unable to order my own steps wisely, neither can I escape the pitfalls except Thy Spirit protect me and keep me. I will trust in Thee. I will lean my entire weight upon Thee. I will reckon on Thy mercy and depend upon Thy power.”

          That is exactly what is going on, I received rebuke, and may this (all that has been said) be my prayer. “Holy fire burn away my desire for anything that is not of You and is of me, I want more of You and less of me…” The quote from Elisabeth Elliot is in my wardrobe, but I never read it…my application is to read it every time I open my wardrobe, pray for total surrender, and walk out 1 Corinthians 15:58, “Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment